Creativity is the catalyst for innovation. Without it, the world as we know it wouldn’t even exist. Someone, somewhere was creative enough to develop new technologies and techniques that have increased both our quality and quantity of life.
The question, though, is how does creativity begin? Does it start as a dream? Does a light bulb suddenly appear over your head? Or is there something specific you can do to spark your creativity and passion?
Believe it or not, we are all creative. While we may be creative in different ways, creativity is within us, juts waiting to be uncovered.
Finding Your Spark
Everyone has different rituals and routines to ignite their creativity, but let’s go through 7 ways to spark creativity and passion in your life.
Create a list of 100. Make a list of 100 ideas and thoughts. They don’t have to be connected, but simply write out 100 ideas that come to mind in a single sitting. This may seem daunting, but the purpose is to generate uncensored and unfiltered thoughts that can be used as a foundation for a bigger idea. You can always filter the ideas later on, so focus on quantity, not quality at first.
- Stimulate all of the senses. Try something different that involves the senses. For example, go to a wine tasting, art museum, concert or even a masseuse. You just might discover a fresh idea by stimulating your body and mind with new things.
- Surround yourself with positive, inspiring words. Stories, positive affirmations, and motivational quotes are always great starting points to tap into your creativity. You just might be inspired to look within after reading the inspirational stories or thoughts of others.
- Go for a country drive. You may be able to think clearer when you’re alone in the car. Turn off the stereo and tune into your own thoughts circulating in your head. There are plenty of creative ideas already within your mind; you just have to become more aware of them!
- Try the color yellow. This may sound strange, but psychologists believe that the color yellow inspires creativity. Architecture firms have a tendency to paint their walls yellow.
- Use the bountiful resources of others. There are plenty of people around the world who love to talk, so get them talking! Ask them questions and allow their responses to guide your thoughts and ideas. You just may come up with a unique and creative solution by using the brainpower of others.
- Take a break. If you’re under stress or pressure, it’s time to relax. After all, our minds need a break! Your relaxation routine doesn’t have to be extravagant; it can be as simple as playing a Sudoku puzzle or going for a 15-minute walk. By refreshing your body and mind, you will actually return more creative than ever.
Find Your Own Creative Routine
Everyone is unique, so you may have a different way to spark your creativity. That’s okay! You can use these seven creativity tips as a guide to help you uncover unique solutions to ordinary problems.
Professional Clinical Hypnotherapist, Psychotherapist and Counselor